Saturday, March 15, 2014

Parents can be so embarrassing

So, I get it. I made my dad really proud a couple of weeks ago when I competed in my first swim meet.

But, his excitement proved that parents don't just embarrass teenagers. They can embarrass a 26 year old too. Here's what happened.

Immediately after my first race (the 25 fly) my dad posted this on his Facebook page....


"Way to go Leslie Burnette Pagel (yes, he tagged me)! You just whooped up on a 70 year old and won Gold in your first swim meet."

My next event was a freestyle relay and this is what he had to say (on Facebook).

"Leslie Burnette Pagel and her free relay team would have won gold if it weren't for the slow poke at the end."

His posts were a little embarrassing, but mostly funny. But, his final post was 100% embarrassing and 0% funny.

I was sitting on the plane headed home and got an alert from Facebook saying, "Larry Burnette mentioned you in a post."

"Oh geez," I thought. I couldn't pull up Facebook fast enough. This is what he posted on the Indy Aquatic Masters web site....

"I am so proud of Leslie Burnette Pagel. She kicked butt this weekend. She won three gold and two bronze medals. I'm sure she's the best on the team. Good job Leslie."

I seriously considered quitting the team at that moment and then decided I would just tell them that he's crazy ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment